[SOLVED] SACD ISO directly encoded to PCM sounds better than DSD files converted to PCM

Bug reports go here.
smutko8882

[SOLVED] SACD ISO directly encoded to PCM sounds better than DSD files converted to PCM

Post by smutko8882 »

When I encode SACD ISO file direct to PCM (WAV) using (+6dB) dsd to pcm volume 176khz the sound, volume and quality of the outputted tracks is much better as if I first extract tracks from SACD to dsf files and then encode them to PCM (WAV) using the same settings. The output tracks created from dsf files have higher volume and sounds worse to my ears... also when I've messured the Dynamic Range of outputed tracks: files from SACD ISO direct encoded to PCM have DR as original tracks on SACD ISO and the wav files created from dsf files fisrtly extracted from SACD have lower dynamic range... This is really strange to me.

Thank you for your explanation.
admin
Site Admin

Re: SACD ISO directly encoded to PCM sounds better than DSD files converted to PCM

Post by admin »

It could be because different decoders are used, i.e. one when decoding iso, and the other when decoding dff/dsf files.
smutko8882

Re: SACD ISO directly encoded to PCM sounds better than DSD files converted to PCM

Post by smutko8882 »

And is it possible to use the same decoder for dsd files as for SACD ISO ? I think the sound is closer to the original with ISO file.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please try the latest beta version - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=40
smutko8882

Post by smutko8882 »

Thanks I tried.. but now also SACD directly converted to PCM sounds louder and has lower DR as original :) What I wanted to achieve was to leave sacd converting as it was in previous version and apply the same method (decoder, volume adjusting etc...) to DSD files (dsf/dff)... also it looks like there is some problem with converting 5,6 Mhz files in this version.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I just released updated beta version.
smutko8882

Post by smutko8882 »

Now it's all perfect with DSD64 but with DSD128(5,6Mhz) some big noise is added to converted tracks.

Thank You
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I just released another beta.
smutko8882

[SOLVED] Re: SACD ISO directly encoded to PCM sounds better than DSD files converted to PCM

Post by smutko8882 »

OK now we can finally close this topic :)

Thanks for your time and help and this useful app you've done !