[Solved] SACD to DSF EXTRACTED w/GUI 1.88 - Setting of Sample Rate PCM - Changes Output

Bug reports go here.
David

[Solved] SACD to DSF EXTRACTED w/GUI 1.88 - Setting of Sample Rate PCM - Changes Output

Post by David »

I noticed that in GUI ver 1.88 if you modify the Setting of "SACD - The default sample rate when converting to PCM" set at 44100 and perform an ISO 2-ch extraction to DSF , the resulting DSFs are corrupted. I'm not sure why this setting would be involved at all with an extraction as there shouldn't be any conversion to PCM at all when doing an extraction operation right? If the setting is set for any value other than 44100, the created DSFs are fine.

Is this a bug? Is PCM somehow involved when doing extractions of DSF? If so why is it?
Last edited by David on Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Re: SACD to DSF EXTRACTED w/GUI 1.88 - Setting of Sample Rate PCM - Changes Output

Post by admin »

Hi,
Which setting are you referring to? The one used when converting SACD to PCM is this https://xrecode.com/wiki/index.php?title=SACD and it's se to 176000 by default. And when extracting, no conversion to PCM is involved. You just select Extract as an Action, click on it to select DSF/DFF and that's it.
David

Re: SACD to DSF EXTRACTED w/GUI 1.88 - Setting of Sample Rate PCM - Changes Output

Post by David »

That's what I was thinking to..."why would this setting make a difference when extracting"....but it seems to for some reason. I completely understand what you are saying. There should be no setting on PCM that makes any difference when extraction is the operation...but if you change the default value of this from 176000 to 44100 for whatever reason. Then you do an extraction of ISO to DSF. The resulting DSF is corrupt and will not play anything but noise on jriver and other platforms. I was perplexed as I couldn't understand why a PCM setting would have any effect on the outcome of an extraction process, yet it is 100% reproducible on my system. If I change the 44100 value to anything else, the extraction process produces a usable file.

I found this because I had done a PCM conversion and left the setting on that value. I would not have expected it to make any difference on an extraction which is why I posted this thread.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please change your settings so that you get the unplayable dsf file and send the diagnostic information (it's under About/Diagnostic) to xrecode@gmail.com. I will then try to reproduce the issue.
David

Post by David »

I have sent the file. I have verified it on another workstation this morning. There is not reason I want to use the 44100 PCM setting; however, I thought it odd that the setting would in anyway effect the outcome of a DSD/DST export to DSF. As it should never passes through PCM right!?!

Hope this helps,

David
David

Post by David »

Fixed in latest: v1.89 (beta)

Thank you.