Files, Folders buttons - slow or none reaction

Bug reports go here.
g68

Files, Folders buttons - slow or none reaction

Post by g68 »

I found your appliaction very useful ( I am registered user), but one thig really really bothers me. When I want to add files by buttons Files or Folders, in many times nothing happens. I must wait because appp doesn't respond at all and in many times completely freezes. I have many hdds in my PC and some of them are in sleep mode due to inactivity. But that shouldn't prevent immediate invoking file/dir choosing dialog. Other applications invoke file choosing dialog at once. This is very awkward.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Files, Folders buttons - slow or none reaction

Post by admin »

Have you tried to disable the sleep for those drives? Just to test if that's the reason.
g68

Post by g68 »

HDD sleep value must be always set, I have it 20 minutes. I tried this - in file browser I tried to search fictitious file just to make sure all HDDs are fully awake. Then I tried Xrecode again. The first reponse (showing menu with 'Add' options) was cca between 7 to 20 seconds of total inactivity (user doesn't know 'what's going on'). Other apps have of course their own proprietary file/dir choosing dialogs , but invoking them is always immediate. When then I try to browse disc which was at sleep, it takes a few seconds, but user always has its response quckly. Maybe your choosing dialog (some C++ library ?) presumes it has to have complete directories tree of whole PC always prepared? I don't need to know what's inside other folders until I click on them...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's just open dialog, nothing fancy here. I have 3 external USB drives (with USB sleep off) and open/add files work fast for me. I'm currently not sure what to do about the issue. Which Windows version are you using?
g68

Post by g68 »

Win10, but old Win 7 did the same. I have an idea. As a sofware developer (Java), I sometimes use utility ProcMon. It can log the application activity with network, registry and especially (!) file system. I'll find out what's happening in the no response period. I'll come back tomorrow.
g68

Post by g68 »

Hi. I logged the Xrecode buttons activity with program Process Monitor. It's simple, you can download it at https://docs.microsoft.com/cs-cz/sysint ... ds/procmon .
My findings are very interesting. I checked what's happening after pushing buttons Files and Folders till the showing local menu with 'Add' item.
ProcMon can export results in its proprietary file, but I rather copied the part of the screen.
Very interesting results:

Button Files pressed at 6:38:00
- Attempt to create file C:\Program Files\xrecode3\nocd.txt, no such file there
- Some checking BluRay writer (D:)
- After some error (?) 6 seconds inactvity (!)
- Another checking BluRay writer
- Another 6 second inactvity
- Some registry operation and finally opening menu

URL to image (embedding img didn't worked for me)
https://ibb.co/cyj4SRV

Button Folders pressed at 6:52:00
- Almost ten seconds of total inactivity (!!!). None operation with file system whatsovever !!!
- Then some registry operation and finally opening menu

URL to image
https://ibb.co/QQ5QxPf
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmm. By looking at the log is seems that accessing the BlueRay drive takes those 6 seconds.
When program finds file nocd.txt (in the log it looks like program tries to create it, but in reality it checks if that file exists), it does not try to detect any CDs. So, please, create empty file C:\Program Files\xrecode3\nocd.txt and try again.
g68

Post by g68 »

Nothing much was affected by existency of nocd.txt file. The scenario was the same.
https://ibb.co/r0zVq97

I found workaround - I hid the d: drive letter from discs management settings, restarted the app and invoking menu was immediate! But that's a bad solution. Moreover - it doesn't affect second button Folders at all.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

"Add files" issue fixed in the latest beta version - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=40