[SOLVED] HE AAC voice encoding

Ask questions on how to do this and that here.
gialandra

[SOLVED] HE AAC voice encoding

Post by gialandra »

Hi, I have no codec experience and would like to compress conference voice recordings. In these days I have read that the HE AAC codec should be very suitable for these purposes, producing a small file with a quality close to the original. Is there any way to compress files in this format with Xrecode?

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: HE AAC voice encoding

Post by admin »

You can do HE AAC encoding.
Please select M4A/AAC/Nero as Output Format, then click on it, choose Manual and enter
--he -v 64
you can change 64 to some lower (min is 8 I think) or higher value (max is 320).
You can also omit the -v 64 and the encoder will pick the quality automatically.

Like this - https://imgur.com/G6kqp0A
When changing the parameters, please click the Test button to make sure you get result "External encoder was configured properly".

If you don't have iTunes installed, please follow this guide - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30
gialandra

Post by gialandra »

Thanks, although a little complex, the conversion works successfully but the kbps of the final file is always the same despite the change of the parameter -v.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oh, -v is ignored in HE mode. You can use -a instead, e.g. -a 32.
gialandra

Post by gialandra »

Even "--he -a 96" and "--he -a 64" provide the same result
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Maybe it depends on the input audio. I tried to convert the music audio tracks and got different result (one with --he -a 64 was smaller than one with - 96).
gialandra

Post by gialandra »

I have to see. Meanwhile, thanks for the assistance.
gialandra

[SOLVED] Re: HE AAC voice encoding

Post by gialandra »

Today I have solved this question: Apple AAC encoder supports only limited set of bitrate configuration. Run qaac --formats to see supported format/bitrate table.