[SOLVED] Converting ISO to DSF

Ask questions on how to do this and that here.
graveller39

[SOLVED] Converting ISO to DSF

Post by graveller39 »

I know there's some info here on this already, but I'm a bit unclear on a couple things:

1) Will DSF files extracted from an SACD iso have the same audio quality as the original ISO?

2) What is the difference (if any) when using 'Encode' as opposed to 'Extract' to get the DSF files from an SACD iso?

I tried both, and as far as I can tell, they both worked, however, using 'Extract' took 4:06, while 'Encode' took 2:37 to do the processing. Also, the resulting files from the 'Extract' are slightly larger (not much - eg. 131,508,316 vs. 131,385,436 bytes).

3) The tutorial I found here references some settings that seem to apply to PCM files - are they relevant if I'm converting to DSF?

Any light you could shed on this would be much appreciated.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Converting ISO to DSF

Post by admin »

1) Yes, quality will be the same as no audio manipulation is performed while extracting.
2) When Encode is used, audio in ISO is (internally) decoded to PCM and then encoded to the destination format, e.g. to FLAC. Extract is fast because bytes are extracted from the ISO file and written to the output file and the speed is, basically, limited the speed of the hard drive.
3) Only when you're Encoding from ISO to some other format.
graveller39

Re: Converting ISO to DSF

Post by graveller39 »

Many thanks for the info...

And many thanks for the software - its been most helpful; I use it almost daily...
admin
Site Admin

[SOLVED] Re: Converting ISO to DSF

Post by admin »

You are welcome ;)