[SOLVED] Extract stereo from DSD iso file with 5 channel

Ask questions on how to do this and that here.
RudieV

[SOLVED] Extract stereo from DSD iso file with 5 channel

Post by RudieV »

Hello,

I bought some albums from Pentatone. When I downloaded the files they contained iso files. Stereo and 5.1 files. When I open the iso in Xrecode and extract the files to DSD I get the 5 channels. In the settings of the DSD option I saw I could choose stereo but what happens then? Are the 5 channels merged into a stereo file or are there only 2 channels extracted? I don't know much about merging these files or is the quality of those two channels the same as a normal stereo file, are there settings I have to adjust?
I am confused to what the best procedure is for extracting the DSD files from the iso file and how to keep it original.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Extract stereo from DSD iso file with 5 channel

Post by admin »

If those .iso files only contain the 5.1, then there's no way to extract only the stereo part.
To make sure they only contain the 5.1, please check that you have this option set to "Both" - https://imgur.com/jgMCLrz

So, if they only contain the 5.1, then your only option is to transcode them to 2.0 - https://imgur.com/6w7JIIw, but then the original quality won't be preserved as encoding to DSD involves decoding them to PCM and then re-encoding to DSD. Even though the 2.0 output files will still have very high quality.
RudieV

Post by RudieV »

Thanks for the quick reply. With the change in settings I now see the stereo files in the iso as well. When I extract the stereo DSD files now to DSD will the quality remain intact without encoding to PCM first?

Greetings,

Rudie
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If stereo files are there, then they will be extracted without a quality loss as there's no need to re-encode.
Just select all TWOCHTOC files use the Extract method.
RudieV

[SOLVED] Re: Extract stereo from DSD iso file with 5 channel

Post by RudieV »

It worked flawlessly! Thanks for your help. I appreciate Xrecode even more. Until now I only used it for converting and had not even noticed the extract button.

Great software!